Thursday, September 1, 2011

Breakfast Bites

Ever wake up in the morning from a nice long sleep and realize that your stomach is churning and possibly making some unpleasant sounds? This might mean it is time for possibly the best meal of the day: breakfast.  At home in New York City, after being cuddled up in my warm full sized bed, I loved to start my day off with a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich from the deli downstairs.  CafĂ© On Broadway is what you would expect from a typical Manhattan deli: the atmosphere seems a little rushed and I definitely would not recommend enjoying a leisurely meal there, but they do make some of the best and cheapest breakfast sandwiches around. Almost drooling to take a bite of this bad boy, I would dive into the hot crispy Kaiser roll wrapped in tinfoil. The sandwich was cut perfectly in two and oozed out melted yellow American cheese.  It had just the perfect balance of omelet-style eggs joined with a thin patty sausage. If you have ever had a truly good breakfast sandwich, you can understand the mastermind of these four ingredients mixed together.
After leaving Manhattan, I have had many disappointing mornings at college. I finally realized that this yummy breakfast treat is nowhere to be found within the freshman meal plan. So, after the first day of school I was left with the question of what to get for breakfast in college? This answer may not be pleasing to many of you, but there are not many appetizing selections Monday though Friday. But good news! The weekend comes with not only parties and late nights, but also an eatable breakfast. This Saturday and Sunday blessing is the create-your-own omelet station at the Duc.  While this may not be your favorite breakfast diner at home or mom’s pancakes, this is certainly not a bad option. Waiting on line that first Saturday morning, I did not know what to expect.  But my turn came quick so I muttered: mushrooms, onions, spinach and cheese please. The eggs were well cooked with actually just the right balance of each ingredient. I also decided to drizzle salsa over the top for the omelet for a little kick. The taste of the omelet reminded me of something I could have at home; it possessed that special sense of being personalized to your own likings, rather than the typical the big pot of scrambled eggs they serve to the whole school. Personally, I added a piece of toast with peanut butter and guzzled the meal down with a cold glass of OJ. After this, for the first time in college, I was satisfied after breakfast. So, for those of you missing your favorite sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich or mom’s pancakes for breakfast, head down to the Duc on your weekends for a little taste of something familiar. Oh, and did I mention this luxury is open until 2pm for all you late risers…

Photo 1 From: Biggest Menu

No comments:

Post a Comment